History of Blythe House
Blythe House Hospice was founded in 1989 when £1000 was left to Betty Packham by Stan Blythe.
Stan was a secondary school teacher, keen birdwatcher and the longest serving president of the Buxton Field Club. He was forced to retire early due to encroaching blindness. He lived alone in Fairfield and was a parishioner visited regularly by Betty Packham. Stan had a stimulating mind and a sharp sense of humour and even when he developed cancer he remained fiercely independent.
Stan spent his last months in a bedroom overlooking a garden and listening and identifying birds as he had wished for. He had regular care of a supportive medical team and had many friends who came to prepare meals and be with him during the day. Stan had a peaceful death, one that he had wished for and when he left Betty £1000 Betty knew that she wanted to build a hospice in his name.
Blythe House was the fulfilment of that dream - a memorial to a wonderfully warm and brave man.