Welfare Rights Advice
Financial hardship can be a major source of stress for many people with long-term illness. The life changes that illness brings can create financial difficulties that our clients may not have expected or planned for. State benefits can often help, but people can find the benefits system confusing and daunting.
How we can help
Our Macmillan Welfare Rights Advisor is here to help clients and their families and carers. The advisor will:
" I was able to find out about my rights at work... I was able to reduce my hours when I was granted Disability Living Allowance"
- do a benefits check and advise on what benefits clients are entitled to claim
- help to obtain and fill in forms
- advise and help with appeals
- represent clients at their tribunal
- help to access Macmillan grants
- help those who are terminally ill to access welfare benefits under the special rules
How to get our advice
"It has made a big difference... I applied to Macmillan for a grant. I was able to buy a bed which has helped enormously."
Appointments are available each Tuesday morning and can be booked via a key worker or through the Macmillan Information and Support Centre.
Clients who are not well enough to come in can be seen at home.