(Updated at 1.20pm on 24.03.2020)
At Blythe House, the well-being of the people we support, hospice visitors, staff and volunteers is our first priority and that’s why we are following advice and guidance issued by Public Health England and the UK Government.
In light of the Government’s announcement on 23.03.2020, we have taken the decision to close the hospice building until further notice to help keep our staff and volunteers safe.
Our hospice services are continuing in our local community:
- We are continuing to provide 24/7 end of life care in the comfort of patient’s homes. Hygiene and cleanliness is of course paramount to all of our fantastic healthcare assistants all of the time – not just in times of crisis. Alongside the usual items including gloves and aprons, the healthcare assistants are now using masks, paper towels and hand sanitisers frequently.
- Our amazing team of nurses, counsellors and healthcare assistants are on-hand providing telephone support to all of our patients and their families.
- We are providing companionship and support to the most vulnerable members of our community. This includes, but is not limited to, shopping, a telephone conversation, picking up prescriptions or running general errands, in full compliance with Government rules issued 23.03.2020.
- All non-essential meetings and sessions at the hospice or in our local community have been cancelled for the time being. This includes coffee mornings, out-patient clinics, weekly support groups and walking for health sessions.
- Our hospice charity shops in Whaley Bridge, Buxton, Chapel-en-le-Frith and New Mills are closed until further notice. We kindly ask that you do not leave donations outside the shop or on the pavement as we don’t know when we will be able to re-open and take the donations inside.
- We are liaising closely with our event sponsors and co-organisers to determine what will happen to future fundraising events. National events that our supporters are involved in, like the London Marathon, have already been postponed. We will keep you updated as soon as we have details of the plans going forwards.
A huge THANK YOU to all of our amazing volunteers and supporters who continue to show such resilience in the face of uncertain times. A sliver of a ‘silver lining’ from this situation is the humbling support of our local community.
We will keep you updated as circumstances change. We hope that you stay safe and well.