1. Are hospices where people go to die?
This is a common misconception and one we battle every day. Blythe House Hospicecare is here to help anyone living with life-limiting illnesses including cancer, COPD, heart failure and neurological conditions. We support people at any stage of their illness – from diagnosis to death or recovery. We are also here to support the friends and family of anyone affected by another’s illness.
2. Is Blythe House just for people with cancer?
No, we are here to help anyone affected by any life-limiting illness and we support people who are bereaved. Visit our services pages to find out more about the range of care and services we offer.
3. Are the services provided by Blythe House free of charge?
The services we provide at Blythe House are free to the public, with the exception of education and training courses. However our services aren’t free to provide; 20% of our income comes from our local Clinical Commissioning Group, whilst we must raise the other 80% through events, donations and other giving. This is why we are always so grateful for all of our wonderful supporters and every donation we receive.
4. Do I have to be referred into Blythe House services by my GP?
If you or someone you know may benefit from any of the services Blythe House offers, we are here to help. It doesn’t matter whether a GP, friend or relative makes the referral, or whether you just call us to make an appointment to talk to someone, we’re here for you. Simple as that. Find out more.
5. What is Blythe House like? Is it depressing?
Just walk through our doors and you will see this myth dissolve. You will receive a warm welcome and may be surprised at the incredible atmosphere and feeling of well-being. Blythe House is filled with warmth, friends, smiles and laughter.
6. How can Blythe House help me?
There are so many ways that Blythe House Hospicecare may be able to help you – from a simple telephone call with advice, to providing hospice care in the comfort of your own home. We provide individualized, holistic care to all our patients and families. To discuss your own situation and find out how Blythe House can help you, speak to a friendly member of the team .
7. Does Blythe House have beds?
No; the Blythe House Hospicecare Community Hub on Eccles Fold in Chapel-en-le-Frith does not have in-patient beds – the building is open for all day-care hospice services including group support, complementary/ physical therapies and much more. Our Hospice at Home service provides hospice care in the comfort of our patient’s homes across the High Peak and surrounding areas. Did you know that the majority of hospice care across the UK (83%) is provided in community-based settings, including home care/ hospice at home, outpatient services and hospice day care. A survey found that 82% of people wanted to die at home, but 50% of us die in hospital (stats from Hospice UK).